Williamson County Archives & Museum

Attention: Williamson County Archives & Museum closed to public entry until further notice.

The health of Williamson County Citizens is a primary concern of Williamson County Government. In accordance with the recommendation from the CDC to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Williamson County Archives and Museum will be closed to public entry until further notice. Archives Department staff will continue to respond to research requests via phone and email. Our contact info is listed on the right side of this page. Please reach out to us with any questions.

Archives and Museum.png

Here at Williamson County Archives our mission is to collect, preserve, and provide access to county records with enduring administrative and historical value. Our records date back to the founding of Williamson County, Tennessee, in 1799, and include multiple record groups. We also collect other documents of historical value and make them available to the public. Sign up for our mailing list.                          


As stated above, the Archives holds Williamson County records that date from the creation of the county in 1799. These records are available in a variety of formats, from the original paper documents and record books to microfilm and scanned images. Available materials include: wills, court records, maps, newspapers, and more. 

To get a more detailed idea of what records are available, or to look for specific county records, please click Search Collections on the left side of this page. From that page, follow the Williamson County Archives Online link to search indexed county records. Please note, for copies of newer records, you may need to contact the appropriate county office (ex: contact the County Clerk’s office for recent marriage certificates, etc.) For guides to our manuscript collections and newspapers on microfilm check out our Research Guides page.                                                                                                    


Williamson County Archives was established in 1993 by the Williamson County Commission. In 2006, the Archives moved from the basement of the Five Points Post Office to the old library building across the street. The new Archives and County Museum welcomed visitors in May 2006. Upon the retirement of the first county archivist, the building was named the Louise G. Lynch Archives and Museum.